Pages

Sunday, July 15, 2012

The Fibromyalgia Warriors . . .

A long time ago, maybe 18 years, I was reading a mini book about chronic pain and there was a quote that struck me, and you may have see this before too:  "Pain is inevitable, but misery is optional."  I wish I could give proper credit to the author, but that little book is long gone with the several moves I have made.  The reality of Fibromyalgia/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome is that both chronic pain and misery are inevitable.  The optional part is how you choose to approach pain and misery.  Not a task for wimps, that's for sure!  I am impressed and inspired by the number of people with Fibromyalgia/CFS that approach their illness with dignity, grace, fortitude, humor and comraderie.  Not every chronic illness has both components; dealing with pain and misery together is the sign of a courageous warrior.  It isn't easy to identify these warriors, because they wear a clever disguise:  smiles.  How remarkable is that?  These warriors look "normal", they act "normal" and they don't complain.  Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.  The energy it takes to be among other people and have a conversation is astounding.  Especially when word find is so difficult and fighting through foggy confusion to gain clarity is ever present.  And that dang pain and misery can be so hard to ignore with its constant tug at the consious brain.  Kudos to all those warriors that wear their clever disguise every day and to those warriors that dare to tell the truth in a public forum.  You open yourself up for criticism, but to say nothing is to risk nothing and is to be nothing.  I heard that line not long ago and I'll be darned if I can recall who said that!!



I thought I would share something from my garden that inspired me today.  These blooms are so fleeting, they last about a day.  It reminds me of the moments when I can push the pain and misery from the forefront and it becomes mere background noise.  Whatever you do today, enjoy your moments!  Blessings to you . . .




No comments: