Pages

Thursday, March 21, 2013

Symbols of who we once were

Over the years I have sorted through my belongings and made decisions about what I should keep and what I should move along.  I have always believed that if I no longer needed something that it's a good thing to let go of it and allow it to go to a new home.  There seems to be no good reason to keep something I no longer use.  But as I have gotten older and this chronic illness has taken its toll on my body it has become more and more difficult to let go of certain belongings.  This recent move to a home with less storage than my previous home has presented the dilemma of purging more belongings than I was prepared for.  I have come to realise there are things that I cling to despite the fact I haven't used them in 6 years.  Even the 5 year test seems to be a little long.  If I haven't used something in 5 years it's unlikely I will ever use it again.  So why on earth am I so reluctant to part with these things that have no obvious use?  I haven't used my cross country skis in 6 years and I'm living in a place where suitable snow is not generally available.  Due to my health status it is unlikely I will ever ski again.  That's a stark reality for me.  So do I just accept that reality, sell my skis and move on?

I have always been so rooted in reality and I learn life's lessons from my life experiences and then keep moving forward.  It just seems that spending too much time reminiscing leaves people stuck in the past, which prevents them from enjoying the present and creating new life memories.  But when the future may not hold new adventures and physical decline is the expectation, what provides that quality of life that keeps moving us forward?  If I let go of my skis is that a statement of defeat?  Those skis are symbols for me.  They symbolize a time when I was able to overcome this illness in an act of personal rebellion and rise beyond its limitations and feel normal again for at least a short time.  Of course I always paid the price for the level of activity and effort required while cross country skiing, but it kept me sane and grounded . . . and hopeful.  But this day is a new day for me and going cross country skiing is no longer an option for me.  To let go of a symbol of a more vigorous time creates a sense of grief.  But isn't that something we all experience if we are lucky enough
to grow older even if chronic illness is not part of the scenario?  I guess for me I didn't expect to have this level of impairment at age 60.  I always envisioned myself as having a high level of vital energy.  After I got sick 20 years ago I thought I would overcome this illness that marches on, but despite my best efforts this illness continues to get the best of me.

But life is a dynamic process and there are always ups and downs to navigate during this journey.  This move has created a set back for me and this shall pass as it always does and I will see some better days.  Meanwhile, grieving has its place, but I have never wanted to stay in that mode for long.  Focusing on what I can no longer do leaves me stuck in a bad place; I must focus on what I can do and accept the new reality of my life.  Living for the present moment and building new life adventures based on what I am able to do will set me free and bring me new joys.  So tomorrow I plan to travel on the Verde Canyon Railroad for a wilderness experience and I plan on taking some photos to share with you.  I can no longer go hiking and camping in the wilderness so I am pampering myself with a train ride instead.  And I'm am selling my skis.  Where ever you are in life it's important to enjoy the ride.  Blessings to you on your personal journey!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great piece. I too am a nurse, with fibro and other health issues keeping me from my passion of cardiac nursing. I have not worked for 2 years. I also recently moved to a downsized living environment and have been doing lots of culling. I have not come across any things that were neccesarily reminders of more energetic times, but it still can be hard to let go of things that bring memories.

I can't imagine the day I have to give up riding my motorcycle. I only got it last summer and my endorsement also. I no longer wait to do things that are on my bucket list. If I am at all able, I do it. I can't ride my bike daily. Sometimes it is weather related parking, but often it is because of pain or lack of strength. I only will ride if I am having a really good day. And it is worth it!!!! Worth the wait, worth walking by the bike day after day not being able to use it, worth the cost of upkeep. Just a 30 minute ride on the back country roads can leave me exhilerated and inspired. I still need that in my life.

Thanks for sharing. I will be back!

Lisa M. Kanoff-Gomes said...

This made me cry. Being a Fibro sufferer along with other chronic issues.....I just downsized and moved due to my baby girl getting ready to leave for college in June. I will also be Finalized in a Divorce after 30 yrs. I will start this Summer alone for the first time in 33 years. My condition is worsening in some ways and where the emotional issues that caused pain are starting to fade, little by little. My heart is beyond broken, it's completely depleted. I will get back, I promise myself that. I live for my yoga, meditation and walks with my Service Dog, Maggie now.....my activities have changed also. My endurance, time awake without a nap and night time sleep is a challenge. BUT, as look back a year ago, or even yesterday,....I am better today then I was yesterday! I would hang your skis outside and make a planner, or neat (something) out of them, unless you can get alot of money for them. It would be cool to "remember" you DID at one time ski those bad boys down a huge mountain!!!!!!!! Thank you for sharing! :). Do post a status for us on where those awesome "Pink Sticks" end up!!!!!!!!! :). Much Love. :) Lisa

Unknown said...

Hi Nobetz! Thanks for visiting my blog and I appreciate your message. I too have a motorcycle, but am unable to ride most days. I appreciate every moment that I can ride and many times opt to ride on the back of Sid's bike. It's all good! I haven't worked in the last 5 years and I do miss those days. I also worked in cardiac and cared for patients in ICU post open heart. It is good to meet you. Are you the person with the Ladybug site?? I get confused about who is doing what . . . not as computer literate as I would like to be! Ha! Take good care and be well. Warmly, Valda

Unknown said...

Hi Lisa, I am so sorry about all your losses. It seems almost too much for you to bear. We have all been through so much, but we wear our war wounds proudly, because we are survivors. And not only do we survive, but we manage to thrive. You must feel depleted, especially because that level of stress can exacerbate symptoms and pain. My thoughts are with you as you sort all your life traumas out. You are a warrior, you know. My poor skis have rust on the edges. They are telemark cross country skis so I didn't go down great big mountains (just little ones), but I sure had a good workout! Ha! Sid said I should keep them because they don't take up that much room; they sure are pretty. Thanks so much for visiting my blog and for your wonderful message -- you let me into your life and that's wonderful. Thank you. Take care and enjoy the company of your faithful companion, Maggie. Warmly, Valda